The Äksi St. Andrew’s Church is located in the borough of Äksi, Tartu Parish, Tartu County. The church parish was first mentioned in written records in 1443. Several wooden churches have stood on the same site, but they were destroyed in wars. The current church building was most likely constructed in 1770, with the oldest parts dating back to around 1500. The church underwent a thorough reconstruction in the Neo-Gothic style between 1887 and 1889, based on a design by Reinhold Guleke, who also created the interior design in the same style. The church’s altarpiece was painted by Julie Wilhelmine Hagen-Schwarz.

Description

There is a free public parking area near the church, available depending on space. Adjacent to the parking area is the Õ-park — a small green resting area with benches and an information board featuring a historical map and photographs of the site. The path to the park includes a slight incline covered with compacted gravel. Please note that the area has not been specially adapted for accessibility — there are no tactile guides, paved surfaces, or other assistive features for persons with disabilities.

The path to the church leads across an open grass-covered area. Entrance to the church is level, with no steps. However, inside the entrance corridor, between two doors, there is a metal grate embedded in the floor. It may pose a minor obstacle, but it is possible to pass by it.

Accessibility

Facilities

The Äksi St. Andrew’s Church is located in the borough of Äksi, Tartu Parish, Tartu County. The church parish was first mentioned in written records in 1443. Several wooden churches have stood on the same site, but they were destroyed in wars. The current church building was most likely constructed in 1770, with the oldest parts dating back to around 1500. The church underwent a thorough reconstruction in the Neo-Gothic style between 1887 and 1889, based on a design by Reinhold Guleke, who also created the interior design in the same style. The church’s altarpiece was painted by Julie Wilhelmine Hagen-Schwarz.

Description

There is a free public parking area near the church, available depending on space. Adjacent to the parking area is the Õ-park — a small green resting area with benches and an information board featuring a historical map and photographs of the site. The path to the park includes a slight incline covered with compacted gravel. Please note that the area has not been specially adapted for accessibility — there are no tactile guides, paved surfaces, or other assistive features for persons with disabilities.

The path to the church leads across an open grass-covered area. Entrance to the church is level, with no steps. However, inside the entrance corridor, between two doors, there is a metal grate embedded in the floor. It may pose a minor obstacle, but it is possible to pass by it.

Accessibility

Facilities

Similar objects

Submit an object

Let others know about the great places you came accross!

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory

Field is mandatory